The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

Bertrand Russel

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

If you're lost you can look and you will find me


If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.”

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf


You've got to find the treasure. - Paolo Coelho


"Why do we have to listen to our hearts?" the boy asked, when they had made camp that day. "Because, wherever your heart is, that is where you'll find your treasure."
"But my heart is agitated," the boy said. "It has its dreams, it gets emotional, and it's become passionate […]. It asks things of me, and it keeps me from sleeping many nights." […]
The boy's heart began to speak of fear. It told him stories it had heard from the Soul of the World, stories of men who sought to find their treasure and never succeeded. Sometimes it frightened the boy with the idea that he might not find his treasure, or that he might die there in the desert. At other times, it told the boy that it was satisfied: it had found love and riches.
"My heart is a traitor," the boy said to the alchemist […]. "It doesn't want me to go on.", "That makes sense," the alchemist answered. "Naturally it's afraid that, in pursuing your dream, you might lose everything you've won."
"Well, then, why should I listen to my heart?". "Because you will never again be able to keep it quiet. Even if you pretend not to have heard what it tells you, it will always be there inside you, repeating to you what you're thinking about life and about the world." […]
"My heart is afraid that it will have to suffer." the boy told the alchemist one night as they looked up at the moonless sky. "Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity." […]
"When I have been truly searching for my treasure, every day has been luminous, because I've known that every hour was a part of the dream that I would find it. When I have been truly searching for my treasure, I've discovered things along the way that I never would have seen had I not had the courage to try things that seemed impossible […] to achieve."
The Alchemist – Paulo Coelho

Maybe that's what my fears are, dreams wanting to be born.