The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

Bertrand Russel

Friday, March 18, 2016

The Dividing Line

Did you ever wonder if the person in the puddle is real, and you’re just a reflection of him? [or her] - Bill Watterson


Parallel Mirrors
    
The world, as we see it,
is a mirror of the mind,
at which the mind glares, trying
to look back at itself,
but always falling, lost
in its Narcissus stare.

The mind, as it is,
is a mirror of the world,
and when the world moves
a strong godlike right arm,
a bantam left hand points down
at the dark back of the mind.

I stare at you often,
as if you were my world,
wanting you to stare back at me
with a deliberation
and a mischievous intensity
that undresses all will and thoughts.

Will I dare return it?
Or was I the one who started?
If I am a reflex
let me be aware of it,
so that your gaze on my face
finds a mirror with a purpose.